Friday, April 23, 2010

A Centaur Marking his Territory

The whole league has been out of the posting habit lately--I will blame the recent stir caused by the birth of the starting SS for the 2032 Pittsburgh Pirates(if Bud Selig does not contract them for the good of the league by then.) But the whole Dallas Braden v. Alex Rodriguez in a celebrity deathmatch debacle has gotten me off track at work on a Friday afternoon. Obviously, not a difficult task. And discussing this issue gives me a great chance to link to this picture. I am not even entirely sure if I care if it is fake. But the Dallas Braden approach is more what fires me up. The A's don't really have anyone of note on their roster, excepting maybe Andrew Bailey and Brett Anderson, so it intrigues me that when the big bad Yankees come to town we see Braden stepping up to one of the more decorated players in the game.

Admittedly, not even a speck on A-Rod's radar--Braden took control of a commonly accepted "guideline" in baseball. Only pitchers get to touch the mound. And he let the whole world know that the Oakland Athletics are not going to lay down, even for the World Series Champs.

If you watch the video found here, you will see what the buzz is about.

I tried to cherry pick some great quotes, but the best I can do is the quote from Braden which summarizes the issue to me.

"After the double play, he was looking at me and [cupped] his ear like, 'What did you say?'" Braden explained. "I made sure he understood me.

No comments:

Post a Comment