Thursday, April 1, 2010

Man Crush Index

Side Note:I started writing this about a week ago. My life has been crazy with In-laws and baby anticipation etc since then. Pretend like it all just happened.

So I just traded for Pedro Alvarez. With him on the cover of every fantasy rookie preview(that does not have Jason Heyward) I had to take a stab at him. I am a Pirates fan and the most highly touted prospect since 1984 has quite a bit of interest in my mind, but likely more so in my heart.

Previous to today, Alvarez would have been my man crush, but Garrett "The LEGEND" Jones hit 2 home runs today(one well into the Allegheny River) and Carlos Gonzalez, the aforementioned "reach alert" pick, went 4-5, so I have to pick from those 2. I love opening day. Jones is on pace to break every HR record ever(PED era or drink til you puke era included) and I love my fantasy team. This will surely change in a week's time--much like the Pirates staying atop the NL Central, but when else in the past 17 years could a Pirates fan be so excited.

So that makes my Man Crush discussion short. It is Garrett Jones. He is a freak and has many doubters which makes it more fun to be in a fictional bromance with him. The guy has defied all odds. Drafted by Atlanta in 1999 in the 14th round, Jones has been with many organizations, spent an ordinate amount of time in the minors and basically had to fall to a team with no organizational depth to get a shot. But since appearing in the majors in 2007 with MIN, he has slugged his way to 25 HRs in under 400 at bats with a .276/.355/.522 triple slash. You take out the brief stint in MIN and the line looks more like .293/.372/.567--not including today's 2-4 day with 2 more homers. I have no idea how long he can keep this up, but I for one will enjoy it until it ends. Hopefully sometime in 2013 when the Pirates are respectable and my soon to be born child has just completed it's first no-hitter in T-ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment