Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Draft Sweet Spot, Part Deux

Well to return the favor, I will now breakdown Deuce's 8-12th round picks. Following his format, Deuce's first picks looked like this: HanRam, King Felix, Jose Reyes, Kendry Morales, BJ Upton, Adam Jones, and Tommy Hanson. A solid, solid foundation. Now to get to the picks in question.

Cargo -- Reach alert. With two power/speed OF in tow, Deuce decided to grab a 3rd OF that projects to be a 20/20 guy with an average that doesn't help nor hurt 30 picks prior to his ADP. Curious pick.

Krod -- The 5th closer comes off the board in the 9th round during a 3-team closer run. Closers have fallen later and later in our drafts, as most teams adhere to the "Don't Pay for Saves" mantra. I am one of those teams, although I do see the value in getting a stud closer. Problem is, 09 K-Rod was not a stud. I would have preferred Heath Bell here, although possibly Deuce was scared off by a potential mid-season deal into a set-up role.

Marmol -- Wow... 2 closers in a row. Was not expecting this. Especially from a notorious Cub-hater. If Marmol can keep from walking the ballpark, he could be a top 5 closer. That is a big if though. Deuce might have been reeling from me stealing Brett Anderson from him. As much as I mock, Deuce did the last closer that could provide elite value, in my opinion.

Jurjens -- Fell further than I thought. Maybe had something to do with the sore shoulder. Deuce is allergic to starting pitchers older than 25. If Jair can build on what he did last year, he will be a steal. Even if he holds steady with last year's production, this pick is more in line with how Deuce described the Nolasco pick, ie something that could have been had 2 rounds later.

Chipper -- You know what you are going to get: high avg, high ops, serviceable power numbers, and 2 trips to the DL. If you are ok with that, then you have your man. Chipper was one of the last safe 3B taken, and was actually someone I had targeted myself. We are in Round 20 of our draft now, and I still don't have a 3B. Regardless, if Chipper can just limit himself to 1 DL stint, he can easily provide top 10 round value.

No comments:

Post a Comment