Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Draft Sweet Spot

I was looking over our draft results trying to determine the most important rounds of the draft. We play in a keeper league, where the first 6 picks are kept. For this exercise I decided to exclude those picks for obvious reasons. So for the purpose of this article, I will compare and contrast picks 8-12 of some of the teams in our draft. For the sake of argument, I will use the 8-12 picks of three guys who happen to write for this site.

Team A has already drafted Braun, J.Upton, Markakis, Zobrist, Verlander, Carlos Lee, and Dunn. So he is sitting with 4 OF, 2B, 1B, and a Starting Pitcher. He follows his outfield depth with Elvis Andrus, Ricky Nolasco, Brett Anderson, Stephen Strasburg, and Alfonso Soriano. At the end of round 12 he has 5 OF, 1B, 2b, SS, 3 SP, and a guy who has never thrown a professional pitch. Being that it is a keeper league, my assumption is Strasburg is a pick for next year, so let's look at the other 4 picks in this 5 round bevy of upside and bounce back players. I like the Andrus pick directly behind the "keeper" rounds in round 8.At pick 93 overall I would give this pick the best pick of the bunch seal of approval. The chances of Carlos Lee increasing in value are slim to none and a young high upside guy who has proven himself for one year at the big league level is not only smart insurance, it could pay huge dividends in the long run as we could see a Furcal type player in his prime over the next several years. Nolasco at pick 100 is a bit of a risk, but with an ADP of 102 it is not a reach. I see a lot of projections that have Nolasco in the 175-185 K range with less than 200 IP, couple that with a 3.80 ERA(also seen in many projections) he could be a true fantasy all star. I fear that most of these projections are based on upside and we may see numbers closer to what we saw last year. I would guess the drafter would not be surprised to see an era above 4.00, in the 4.20 range with that high K total remaining. Good K totals, low wins and a slightly better than league average ERA--I feel like these guys are in abundance 2-3 rounds later but do not have the top end ceiling appeal that Nolasco does. This could be a fulcrum pick for Team A. Next we look at Brett Anderson taken at pick 117 overall. I am slightly bitter about this pick. I really wanted Anderson here and at pick 119 feel i got screwed. I even tried to trade up to 115 to ensure I got him. However with an ADP of 146 I thought I was safe, even in a keeper league. Alas, I was not safe. This pick shows tremendous upside and all the pundits love him. A ho hum year would be in the range of 4.00 era 136 Ks and barely breaching double digit wins on an Oakland team that could well finish last in the AL West. Although a breakthrough year at age 22 would be rare, this kid showed in his time up last year he has the stuff and composure to be a front of the rotation starter for years to come. His second half only got stronger last year, when a lot of young arms tire out. He boasted a 3.48 ERA, 4.2/1 K/BB ratio and averaged almost a K per IP--all with a whip settling around 1.19. If he can put up those types of numbers across an entire year, we would likely see the advent of a premier stud and potential keeper candidate. Needless to say, I like him a lot. I will let Webb discuss Strasburg if he sees fit. I do not. So let's wrap up team A with Alfonso Soriano at pick 141. With an ADP of 87, according to Mock Draft Central, I have to ask myself--what was the rest of the league thinking? I know we have some Cub haters and general dislike toward guys who hop when fielding fly balls, but Soriano seems to have found a decent home in the Friendly Confines and should be in for a solid year. The guy is never going to hit .300 again or go 40-40, but let's assume last year was a blip on the Soriano radar. I could easily see 20-15 while hitting .280 in an aging, but potent Cubs lineup that should yield 75 runs and 65 RBIs, right? I am not a Soriano fan, but when the OF taken directly before him were Raul Ibanez and Chris Coghlan--I love this pick. I seem to have gone a little long on Team A and will continue with Team B and C after I get a little more time.

5 comments:

  1. Just a quick rebuttal...

    Andrus: You hit it dead on. Lee is not a keeper. Hell Zobrist might not be either. Needed some speed and some upside. Andrus fit both those and should score a ton of runs for the Rangers.

    Nolasco: Yeah Nolasco didn't build on his break out year, but check out these numbers: 11-4 with a 3.82 ERA and a 158/31 K/BB ratio in 141 1/3 innings. Those were his numbers after he got sent down for 2 starts to get his head straight. Now considering your fawned over Anderson when he had similar numbers in the 2nd half, not sure if Nolasco is as big a risk as you think.

    Anderson: I love him. Possible keeper if he becomes the ace everyone says he will. It is always fun to steal someone that is highly coveted. Especially when it causes someone to go against their ethics (right Chad!?!?).

    Strasburg: As detailed before, I don't have 6 keepers in my first 6 picks. Strasburg is an investment. Anything he does this year is gravy. I will keep him regardless of any number. Only thing that will make me not keep him is a date with Dr. Death (knock on wood).

    Soriano: As Chad mentioned, we often times have good players fall a ways for no good reason. Uggla fell quite a ways too. Did I need Soriano? Not at all. He will start the year on my bench. However, if he starts hot and I am able to flip him or even Nick Markakis for a 3B, since I will have garbage there, then it was a wise pick. No way he should have fallen that far. Soriano could easily put up 2nd-3rd round value. To be clear, I do not think he will reach that. I do think he could go 25-15, which is much more valuable than what I should have gotten in that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey stream of conscious, how about a paragraph break next time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with Webb on the Nalasco pick I have got to agree with Deuce on Soriano. Now he did fall further then I think he should have. prob due to Cub haters in our league and others being burned by him before. I think there is as much chance of him being 2-3rd value as Granderson does hitting .300 vs lefties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So maybe I shouldn't have said easily. I still think he can go 20/15 with an upside of 30/20. That is 3rd round value isn't it?

    ReplyDelete